by Karyn Michelle Wofford
I stopped by Chickfila today to try the ever so controversial Superfood Side Salad. The salad made headlines when it bumped the company’s famous coleslaw off of the menu. A lot of people were pretty ticked off. Chickfila is known for making bold moves with their menu, and have pulled big items before, in an effort to become a healthier restaurant. I really miss the Southwest Salad. Anyway, the only coleslaw I really like is my mom’s, so I can’t tell you if the swap is justified, but I can tell you what I think of the new side.
Brocolini, kale, dried cherries, mixed nuts and a maple drizzle make up the side. The greens are crisp and fresh with the cherries and dressing adding the right amount of sweetness. The nuts come in a separate pack, and are very slightly sweetened as well. At 23 gram of carbohydrates, it’s a little higher carb than I would want it to be, but that’s what you get with dried fruit and maple. The nutrient factor makes up for it, in my opinion. Kale and cherries are rich in fiber and antioxidants. Nuts add a punch of protein.
I felt like the serving was definitely small for something that costs $2.65, but I do understand that superfoods are not cheap. I just wish they would make it a little larger. However, the combo of greens, fruits and nuts is really satisfying. When paired with a Grilled Chicken Sandwich or maybe some nuggets, I would expect it to be a pretty sturdy meal.
Chickfila is one of those restaurants that offers a lot of diabetic friendly stuff. Grilled Chicken Sandwiches on wheat buns, salad selections, grilled nuggets, soup, and now kale salad all are great choices. It works as a happy medium between my husband and I, he gets his fast food and I can get something that won’t cause my blood sugar to go nuts.
If I could ask Chickfila to change some things, I have a little list that would bring the company from pretty amazing to perfection.
- Use ketchup that doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup. This is one of the few items at Chickfila that contains it.
- Bring back the brownies. I know, they aren’t good for you, but when I want to do something bad, it would be great to be able to get one of those fudge brownies.
- Add a Greek or Ceasar salad to the menu. I like the selections they have, but I bet the chicken would pair really well will some feta cheese, roasted red pepper, and Kalamata olives!
- Spice up the grilled sandwich. I love the spicy chicken, but I usually get grilled chicken. I can already taste a Spicy Grilled Chicken Sandwich on a wheat bun! Yum.
- Stop using Splenda. Splenda is evil, I am convinced all artificial sweeteners are. To my knowledge and after much research, I think Stevia would be a much better choice for sweetening their Diet Lemonade.
- Make the kale salad bigger! Did I already say that?
Anyway, still a big fan. Chickfila is growing and keeps getting better and better. They are the true picture of how fast food should be done. Everyone can find something to eat. Kids love it, adults love it, and on “Dress Like a Cow Day”, you eat free! They usually do that in the summer, and if you are up for a little embarrassment, it’s actually pretty fun! I get side tracked easily…. Anyway, go try the Superfood Side Salad!