Chicken is a wonderful protein to have on hand. The only problem is, it’s easy for it to lead you into a cooking rut. That’s why this hearty chili recipe feels so vital. It instantly pulls your kitchen out of the routine of baked chicken this and baked chicken that. Full of flavor with just the right amount of spice, this zippy dish is also low in calories and fat, giving you another reason to break it out when the thought of making a chicken dish slightly bores you.
Calories: 149 Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 33 mg, Sodium: 172 mg, Carbohydrate: 12 g, Sugar: 0 g, Fiber: 0 g, Protein: 16 g
- 3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can 4-oz. chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed, and drained
- 1 28-oz. can Italian stewed tomatoes, cut up
- 1 cup chicken broth or beer
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the chicken in a Dutch oven, onion, and red peppers in a Dutch oven in oil for 5 minutes or until the chicken isn’t pink anymore. Add the green chilies, the chili powder, the garlic, the coriander, and the cumin. Cook for an additional 1 minute. Stir in the beans, the broth/beer, and the tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and then simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
You can add a dash of cayenne pepper to the chili if you want to add an additional kick.