Eat your greens. That’s the mantra that we’ve been hearing all our lives. And even though we have a much easier time doing so as an adult as opposed to when we were kids, there are times when this simple act of consuming green veggies isn’t as easy as, say, wolfing down a burger and fries. Sometimes, you need to engage in a little culinary chicanery.
Enter this sumptuous smoothie. Yes, it is green – bright green, in fact. While the striking hue naturally captures your eye’s fancy, the mélange of cucumber, spinach, jasmine green tea, mint, and a touch of citrus juice (among other ingredients) are destined to enliven your taste buds, too. Add to this the fact that the beverage comes equipped with minimal calories, trace amounts of fat, and zero cholesterol, and you really have no excuse to not eat your greens – or at least, in this case, drink them.
Calories: 80 Fat: 0.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 15 mg, Carbohydrate: 19 g, Sugar: 0 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 2 g
- 1 ¼ cups frozen mango cubes
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled English cucumber
- 1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- ¾ cup unsweetened jasmine tea
- 2 tablespoons packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
- Put the mango cubes, the cucumber, the baby spinach, the jasmine green tea, the mint leaves, the lemon, the lime, and the gingerroot in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Pour into 2 large beverage glasses and serve.
You can use chopped chard or kale instead of baby spinach if you wish.
If you don’t have green tea, you can use filtered water instead.